#1 STONEY-DSP

STONEY-DSP

Senior Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

Since i Haven't played in a looong time i got back to H-Hour, just to find out that my AMD R7 370 4gb has freaking framedrops from 65fps to 2.4fps on user created maps and only those maps, i've checked my drivers and they where up to date. I even tried older drivers but still the same or even worse.

Now i don't know wether or not the maps need to have certain specifics for the amd gpu i'm using and i don't know if any1 else has this problem but its annoying as Fack!
And makes the game unplayable

#2 RILL-KILL

RILL-KILL

Admiral

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7084 posts
  • LocationLeft Of Center

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

AMD GPU cards do indeed cause their own specific issues. I'd normally suggest doing a search, but it seems both our forums and the TT plugin do not like searching for words near or with only 3 letters or so (AMD).

Various people have had issues, but most have been resolved by some map creation trickery, but no set limit that I'm aware of regarding map size or asset limits. Meaning - certain maps may indeed be unplayable for anyone with lesser systems/cards.

We're that sweet spot is, maybe a dev tester can jump in and suggest what performance sliders you might be able to adjust of which maps are going to be an issue no matter what you do (minus a hardware upgrade)... but I'm not the one to start suggesting anything other than hang tight and I'll see if I can scare someone up smarter than me on this issue. ;)

Edit: if you take a look at the steam page (if you haven't already) it does give a min spec... but again, workshop maps don't necessary fall within that guideline due to them being outside SOFs scope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Policies FAQ Updates Forums New Content

(Dear community: Unless I directly quote SOFs policy and or its management stating similar, I speak only my opinion on my own behalf. Not SOFs.  ;))

#3 STONEY-DSP

STONEY-DSP

Senior Chief

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

• Besturingssysteem: Windows 7 SP1, 8 or 8.1, 10 -- 64 bit version
  • Processor: 3.0 Ghz Quad Core Processor
  • Geheugen: 8 GB RAM
  • Grafische kaart: NVidia: GTX 580, GTX 670, GTX 960 / ATI: HD 5970, 7870 LE (XT), 7950, 280, 285
  • DirectX: Versie 11

these are the specs from steam ( in dutch, but you should be able to see that my gpu is a newer version than recommended ) yes user created map dont obey those rules

i also will NOT in my life switch any of my hardware to the brand NFackia ( Nvidia) ( i have really bad personal experience with that company and it's GPU's )

did do a search even without the search function but i only came to my old AMD topic which had been solved by the map-creators themselves by fixing it ( maybe they need to do it again )

I doubt a dev tester would be able to help/fix this since it's Only on user created maps.

I'll "hang" tight but doubt this has a "easy" fix.

Since i'm not the only1 with an AMD gpu. SoF might better look into it cuz this isn't the 1st time nor will it be tha last time that this happenend

anyway scare some1 about this and we shall see.

Edited by STONEY-DSP, 22 January 2017 - 01:59 PM.

#4 Nikita

Nikita

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1987 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

Stoney welcome back!

Check out this AMD post and it may resolve your issue!!!

https://www.sofstudi...5-380-and-380x/

#5 STONEY-DSP

STONEY-DSP

Senior Chief

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

Stoney welcome back!

i'll check, test and let you know

#6 STONEY-DSP

STONEY-DSP

Senior Chief

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

Stoney welcome back!

i'll check, test and let you know

well this driver only made it worse for me so i gonna test some other drivers and let you know

#7 RosieRascal

RosieRascal

Dev & Steam Support

• Dev Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3956 posts
  • LocationPrince Edward Island, Canada

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

Yup the AMD 370 is just at minimum specs and will require adjustments to lower graphics in order to have playable fps. 

Not sure if you do this but running dual monitors or running a tv from the card, or streaming or any activity that shares your card with the game will just kill the fps potential too. 

Rill is correct that community mappers don't follow the same processes to optimize for lower end systems so their maps are kind of what you see is what you get.  Most are open to suggestions from the community to improve so if there are particular ones that drag you down, let them know on their workshop page.  Better yet, point out the objects in their map that seem to be affecting your fps the most.

You can try running the game in a lower video resolution as well.  This is the quickest way to an fps boost.  Dropping from 1080p to a lower resolution might surprise you.  Then turn off shadows in game as that really pulls fps down with all that rendering going on.

Also, AMD provides this tool for troubleshooting:

http://support.amd.c...GameIssues.aspx

Rosie%20Rascal%20sig.png

#8 STONEY-DSP

STONEY-DSP

Senior Chief

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Tried running @ lower settings and makes it worse somehow,

but let me get this right my previous AMD HD 6970HD has no problems with those maps but the newer R7 370 does and my newer GPU falls under the minimum specs? i posted the recommended specs in a previous post in this topic and my older 6970 is even above the recommended.

Pointing out the stuff that makes me "Freeze" to the map creatorts i won't mind but that also means they have to do something with it, or @ least respond.

Also noticed that sometime i must play a map in fullscreen to stop the freezes and sometimes in windowed fullscreen.

Really starting to doubt its my system since other games run good to Perfect but hey this is a BETA so hopefully these ki9nd of thing will be fixed soon

#9 Vice_President

Vice_President

Major

• Dev Testing Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2692 posts
  • LocationLFoD

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

Just to add to the conversation here is a benchmark between the two cards you listed (http://gpuboss.com/g...I-Radeon-R7-370) interestingly enough the R7 370 doesn't seem to be much better than the 6970.... Now that throws a wrench in the wheels as not I'm confused as to why its performing so much worse.

When you say you lower the settings, are you lowering the "texture quality" slider as well. You should gain more performance out of that. What about running at a lower resolution?

Sorry if these are things you've tried and I'm beating a dead horse.

Posted Image

\=Posted Image

#10 STONEY-DSP

STONEY-DSP

Senior Chief

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:30 AM

Just to add to the conversation here is a benchmark between the two cards you listed (http://gpuboss.com/g...I-Radeon-R7-370) interestingly enough the R7 370 doesn't seem to be much better than the 6970.... Now that throws a wrench in the wheels as not I'm confused as to why its performing so much worse.

When you say you lower the settings, are you lowering the "texture quality" slider as well. You should gain more performance out of that. What about running at a lower resolution?

Sorry if these are things you've tried and I'm beating a dead horse.

Beating a dead horse dang haven't heard that1 in a loong time but yeh i've tried all though i think i found the best driver for all UC maps but still have some mayor fps drops on 2 maps which isn't really bad unless those maps take longer than 5 rounds.

Also i never trusted those benchmarks for some reason when checking multiple benchmarks out they always vary way to much

Edited by STONEY-DSP, 28 January 2017 - 04:33 AM.

#11 STONEY-DSP

STONEY-DSP

Senior Chief

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:31 AM

http://support.amd.c...=Windows 7 - 64

a link to all previous AMD r7 370 drivers.

just incase some1 else has that card and needs the drivers.

Windows 7 64-bit

Edited by STONEY-DSP, 28 January 2017 - 04:33 AM.

#12 RosieRascal

RosieRascal

Dev & Steam Support

• Dev Support
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3956 posts
  • LocationPrince Edward Island, Canada

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Your gpu meets minimum specs.  For games, we always post min and recommended.  Min specs mean adjustments will be needed to lower setting to boost performance.  Our official maps target meeting those specs as well but it is difficult to enforce standards on an open custom workshop though I feel your pain.  The mappers can setup targeted cpu/gpu in order to get UE4 Editor feedback on how much rendering is happening and where they might need to optimize.  Not sure they are aware of that.

Since we cannot optimize workshop maps, we are considering separating 4 Star workshop maps into servers that recognize which are optimized for our minimum specs and which are not.  That will take people willing to actually assess the maps though and the mod team is looking into how best to go about this and if it is a feasible option.  So please let us know which two maps are causing you issues.  It will help in deciding how we go forward.

Rosie%20Rascal%20sig.png

#13 STONEY-DSP

STONEY-DSP

Senior Chief

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

Your gpu meets minimum specs.  For games, we always post min and recommended.  Min specs mean adjustments will be needed to lower setting to boost performance.  Our official maps target meeting those specs as well but it is difficult to enforce standards on an open custom workshop though I feel your pain.  The mappers can setup targeted cpu/gpu in order to get UE4 Editor feedback on how much rendering is happening and where they might need to optimize.  Not sure they are aware of that.

Since we cannot optimize workshop maps, we are considering separating 4 Star workshop maps into servers that recognize which are optimized for our minimum specs and which are not.  That will take people willing to actually assess the maps though and the mod team is looking into how best to go about this and if it is a feasible option.  So please let us know which two maps are causing you issues.  It will help in deciding how we go forward.

1st map giving me and some others problems is; Offshore

I would suggest that mapmakers must keep the minimum requirements as the studio does otherwise there could be a break in players the 1s with recommended specs and the 1s with minimum specs.

Also wouldn't it be better to let the map creators now where and how the cpu/gpu setup works ( not every1 has "brains" )

EDIT; i forgot the name off the 2nd map will report when i play it again.

Edited by STONEY-DSP, 28 January 2017 - 10:33 AM.