37 replies to this topic

#1 LongJon

LongJon

Private

• Active Duty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:35 AM

I'm trying to port forward my PC as the top priority.  It used to be my Xbox before i built my desktop.  I remember for Xbox and Playstation there are specific numbers and all this stuff.  All those numbers are still in there. I know there's plenty more to it in some cases.  Century Link is my internet provider (unfortunately). Anyone know how to get this done?

Edited by LongJon, 27 February 2017 - 01:40 AM.

#2 RILL-KILL

RILL-KILL

Admiral

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,963 posts
  • LocationLeft Of Center

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:36 AM

You have to have password access to your router. You know the type? If you have some of the bigger ISPs, they provide instruction via their website. Visit it and log in, then do a search for "router, gaming, priority". That should get you in the door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Policies FAQ Updates Forums New Content

(Dear community: Unless I directly quote SOFs policy and or its management stating similar, I speak only my opinion on my own behalf. Not SOFs.  ;))

#3 LongJon

LongJon

Private

• Active Duty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:46 AM

Yeah I have all that info.  I've done it before.  I'm even in the advanced settings of my router in the port forwarding section (my internet provider is Century Link).  I'll see if I can figure it out.

#4 RILL-KILL

RILL-KILL

Admiral

• Moderators
  • 6,963 posts
  • LocationLeft Of Center

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:49 AM

...might be under "network" instead of port forwarding. Never heard of century, but might be helpful to search for a router manual, then search for the same as suggested if it's not found under either location already discussed.

(Dear community: Unless I directly quote SOFs policy and or its management stating similar, I speak only my opinion on my own behalf. Not SOFs.  ;))

#5 LongJon

LongJon

Private

• Active Duty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:09 AM

Can I add/upload a screenshot here?

#6 RILL-KILL

RILL-KILL

Admiral

• Moderators
  • 6,963 posts
  • LocationLeft Of Center

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:46 AM

Yup, I use Photobucket, but others use imgur and I do believe there is an upload option via the web side of the forum too. It's found under the "more options button".

#7 SiMpLiFiEDChAoS

SiMpLiFiEDChAoS

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:34 AM

A lot of port forwarding nowadays isn't really necessary thanks to uPnP, it automatically communicates with the game to open ports to your router that are currently being used by the game and then closes the ports afterwards, of course your router has to be setup properly for this, in many games they offer a "NAT" indicator that usually has 3 stages: Type 3 (Strictest) Type 2 (Moderate) Type 1 (Open) with Type 3 being the one you'd want to avoid and Type 1 being the one you'd prefer to have.

There isn't really any advantage to opening your ports permanently on your router unless you're playing a game that doesn't support uPnP or your router doesn't support it.

TheInfamous.jpg

#8 Vice_President

Vice_President

Major

• Dev Testing Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationLFoD

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'm trying to port forward my PC as the top priority.  It used to be my Xbox before i built my desktop.  I remember for Xbox and Playstation there are specific numbers and all this stuff.  All those numbers are still in there. I know there's plenty more to it in some cases.  Century Link is my internet provider (unfortunately). Anyone know how to get this done?

A lot of port forwarding nowadays isn't really necessary thanks to uPnP, it automatically communicates with the game to open ports to your router that are currently being used by the game and then closes the ports afterwards, of course your router has to be setup properly for this, in many games they offer a "NAT" indicator that usually has 3 stages: Type 3 (Strictest) Type 2 (Moderate) Type 1 (Open) with Type 3 being the one you'd want to avoid and Type 1 being the one you'd prefer to have.

There isn't really any advantage to opening your ports permanently on your router unless you're playing a game that doesn't support uPnP or your router doesn't support it.

Chaos is correct. With one of the recent patches as long as uPnP is enabled on you router you should not need to forward your ports manually. I tested this with my Asus RT-AC68U and did not need to do anything. If uPnP is not enabled on your router your best bet it to try and enable that first and see if it works. It will be much easier. 

Posted Image

\=Posted Image

#9 RILL-KILL

RILL-KILL

Admiral

• Moderators
  • 6,963 posts
  • LocationLeft Of Center

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

I'm trying to port forward my PC as the top priority. It used to be my Xbox before i built my desktop. I remember for Xbox and Playstation there are specific numbers and all this stuff. All those numbers are still in there. I know there's plenty more to it in some cases. Century Link is my internet provider (unfortunately). Anyone know how to get this done?

Chaos is correct. With one of the recent patches as long as uPnP is enabled on you router you should not need to forward your ports manually. I tested this with my Asus RT-AC68U and did not need to do anything. If uPnP is not enabled on your router your best bet it to try and enable that first and see if it works. It will be much easier.
He's not trying to port forward as much as he's trying to set his PC as top priority regarding his network bandwidth usage. Or at least that's what I got out of his query...

#10 Nikita

Nikita

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

LOST QUOTES - LOL FROM RILL KILL

He's not trying to port forward as much as he's trying to set his PC as top priority regarding his network bandwidth usage. Or at least that's what I got out of his query...

Maybe he is looking for instructions to setup a DMZ? This way specific traffic goes to just his PC?  

If this is what LongJon is looking for, I would start with Netgears support page. 

How-do-I-configure-a-device-to-be-in-the-DMZ-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Edited by Nikita, 27 February 2017 - 10:24 AM.
link

#11 Nikita

Nikita

Lieutenant

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

If you go to "More Reply Options" lower right corner when creating a post.  You can attach files. 

#12 RILL-KILL

RILL-KILL

Admiral

• Moderators
  • 6,963 posts
  • LocationLeft Of Center

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

LOST QUOTES - LOL FROM RILL KILL

Maybe he is looking for instructions to setup a DMZ? This way specific traffic goes to just his PC?
If this is what LongJon is looking for, I would start with Netgears support page.
How-do-I-configure-a-device-to-be-in-the-DMZ-on-my-NETGEAR-router

...possibly, depends upon how it's supported per router.
Edit: Oops, I now see he added his router type to the title after he and I touched base last night. ;)

If you go to "More Reply Options" lower right corner when creating a post. You can attach files.
Yup, evidently that was lost too, as I pointed that option out previously as well. Evidently we all have port forwarding and bandwidth issues today. :P

#13 SiMpLiFiEDChAoS

SiMpLiFiEDChAoS

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:09 AM

RILL-KILL then what he's after is the QOS (Quality of Service) or Device Prioritization in his router, one thing that needs to be said is QOS/Priority Device isn't exactly fullproof, it won't address bottleneck issues or bandwidth issues, if someone is lagging your internet having your device set to priority won't change that, believe me I've tried lol.

DMZ is a whole other thing, I wouldn't ever recommend DMZ unless it's a last resort, it can be very unsecure and it will also deny all other devices from doing certain actions, for example back in the day on Starcraft before uPnP was around I used to DMZ my IP to be able to host games, this conflicted with other games on different systems my brothers were playing and stopped them from doing things like joining games, etc.. the system may be improved nowadays but I wouldn't go messing with the DMZ unless you know what you're doing.

TheInfamous.jpg

#14 Classified9-1

Classified9-1

Master Chief

• Active Duty
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

Longjon msg me. You know I do this for a living remember .

4Xd92yH.png

#15 (BRN) Spazz Brown

(BRN) Spazz Brown

Mod Manager

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationMasshole

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Yes please do not put your PC in DMZ

Baskee.png

It's easy to attack and destroy an act of creation. It's a lot more difficult to perform one.

“If you are a gamer, take a deep breath and a moment of reflection occasionally and admire the incredible creativity of the medium you love. And if a game disappoints, provide constructive feedback, not the vitriol that is unfortunately so prevalent nowadays,”

#16 (BRN) Spazz Brown

(BRN) Spazz Brown

Mod Manager

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationMasshole

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

This might help.

http://kb.netgear.co...netgear_organic

Baskee.png

It's easy to attack and destroy an act of creation. It's a lot more difficult to perform one.

“If you are a gamer, take a deep breath and a moment of reflection occasionally and admire the incredible creativity of the medium you love. And if a game disappoints, provide constructive feedback, not the vitriol that is unfortunately so prevalent nowadays,”

#17 brobst

brobst

Master Sergeant

• Active Duty
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

Basically his ping has tripled and we dont know why

Sent from phone Tapa

...Because Quick Scope...

Best laptop ever... http://www.userbench...UserRun/2009053

My laptop is i7-3720QM @ 2.60GHz, nvidia gt650m, samsung 500gb ssd 50% utilization, 16gb ddr3

#18 RILL-KILL

RILL-KILL

Admiral

• Moderators
  • 6,963 posts
  • LocationLeft Of Center

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

Basically his ping has tripled and we dont know why

Sent from phone Tapa

...could be a line issue thanks to recent weather. Most ISPs can do a line test if called. That would be a good starting point I'd consider if it were me.

#19 SiMpLiFiEDChAoS

SiMpLiFiEDChAoS

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

Best thing to do is check what devices are on the router, if there's many and you're currently lagging then cut each device off one by one until either your ping issue goes away or you've cut every single device besides your PC from the internet, remember video streaming programs like Netflix, etc.. will eat through aa much bandwidth as it can grab, it has no limit in terms of bandwidth usage, if you have a 25 mbps connection and Netflix wants 25 mbps it will steal your entire bandwidth.

If that doesn't eliminate your problem, do a pingtest and see what that gives you in terms of ping, if that seems fine try connecting to another game.

Just eliminate each problem step by step, first your internet, then H Hour, if that doesn't work your ISP is more than likely having issues, phone them.

TheInfamous.jpg

#20 LongJon

LongJon

Private

• Active Duty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for all of the responses guys.  I finally got through to my provider (Century Link) today and was on the phone with them for about an hour.  Basically I've always had internet problems from the standpoint that I've never gotten all the bandwidth/Mbps that I pay for.  For whatever reason.  It's been a while since I've contacted them.  My regular ping on the game is usually anywhere between 88-92.  Last night was an anomaly when my ping tripled, but it represents a bigger problem.  

I always play wired.  My desktop doesn't even have WiFi.  There's rarely any other device using the internet in my house when I play except for the rare occurrence when someone is watching netflix/hulu/amazon prime and that's when I have family over and I know when that's happening lol therefore I'm usually not on.  So with the exception of the TV's in my house always connected to WiFI (but rarely streaming anything even when they are on) and usually my phone, my desktop is usually the only/main thing.  My PS4 is used through WiFi because I never really game online with it (ever) and Xbox One is hard wired but I never have those online when I'm on my desktop.

Anyways to get to the point, I ran some tests with Century Link and they concluded with I'm only getting about 50-65% of the speed I'm paying for and they are sending a technician out this Saturday to check the lines, do some tests, check equipment, etc.  Where I am, they are the only internet provider you can get.  Literally the county above us, to the left of us, and to the right, have all the internet providing options in the world, but in my area, a select few towns near the beach along the coast of Alabama/right next to the Florida panhandle, Century Link is it.  They have a region area lockdown or something and it's been that way my entire life.  It sucks.  They used to be called Gulftel before they changed their name to Century Link a few years ago.  We'll see what happens after the technician comes and checks everything out, but I did want to setup my PC as the top priority.  I've done it before and my settings for when I did it to my Xbox 360/One back in the day are still there so I'm assuming my Xbox One S is the top priority if that even matters.  That stuff is ******** though, like in the QoS settings for Netgear, why do they have it to where MSN messenger and Quake and all that crap is in there and you can't remove it for priorities?  Idk.  I'm about to hop on and play now and we'll see if I'm back to my usual 92 ping but after all of this is said and done and the technician comes here and I get it straightened out, I'm expecting to have at least somewhat of a lower ping in the end.